Saturday, June 28, 2008

Consult with Cochlear Implant Surgeon

We had a consultation with Dr. John Niparko at The Listening Center at Johns Hopkins last week. This was our second appointment at Johns Hopkins, the first being a meeting with an audiologist back in April to discuss the CI candidacy process. Dr. Niparko is a highly respected and experienced CI surgeon, and we were very impressed with his knowledge, professionalism, and attentiveness during our meeting. He answered all of our questions and listened to all of our concerns. Now having visited two well-regarded CI Centers and weighing the pros and cons of our experiences at each, we have decided to have Ben implanted by Dr. Niparko at Johns Hopkins, and are confident that this is the right choice for Ben. There are many more tests and appointments in the CI candidacy process, insurance approval to obtain, and circumstances may change, but our goal is to have Ben bilaterally implanted with the first surgery performed at 10 months of age and the second surgery about 8 weeks later. This would mean the first surgery in November, activation in December, then the second surgery a few weeks later around his first birthday in January, with the second activation shortly after that. Our goal is to have Ben with two CIs implanted and activated at around 12 1/2 months of age. We had considered simultaneous bilateral surgery, but Dr. Niparko would prefer to do it this way and as long as the surgeries are just 6-8 weeks apart, we feel that the end result for Ben will effectively be the same - bilateral hearing around the time he is 12 months old. November seems far away now, but I know the next few months will go by fast, and the big day will be here before we know it. This fall and winter (not to mention Christmastime) will be busier than we can imagine, I'm sure, but also more wonderful. We have full confidence in the team at Johns Hopkins and we now feel we have a clear goal for Ben and a plan to achieve it.

8 comments:

tammy said...

Yeah! I bet it feels good to have your team picked out! I can't wait to sit and have this meeting! It's just one step closer to them hearing! I know there is a lot to go through with this process ... I hope it's as smooth as possible for you and your family!

Shiloh said...

I found your blog from a link on Drew's blog. I am mom to Isaac who has been implanted for almost 2 years and we are scheduled for his bi-lateral soon. Isaac is 3 years old. We have another son, Noah who is hearing. You have a beautiful family. We send our thoughts and prayers as you go through this process! God Bless you!
Shiloh

Laurie said...

That is great that the CI process is moving along. I truly believe that the earlier you help a child to hear, the less help they will need later on. John Hopkins sounds like a great place to get started!

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

I am so glad that you had a great consult with Hopkins. They really are a fantastic center and the team is fantastic! The candidacy process is draining. Hang in there, and take one day at a time :)

PolyglotMom said...

That's so exciting that you have your team picked out already and a timeline in place! We're not quite there yet, but our info mtg with the audiologist at CHOP is scheduled for August. Out of curiosity, which other CI implant center did you look at? Hopkins could still be an option for us, and I'm wondering if you chose it over CHOP or another place. Thanks.

Drew's Mom said...

Yeah! I'm glad to hear that you are making progress. It feels good, doesn't it.

November will be here before you know it. Time flies - we felt like we would never make it to activation day, now we are over a year past it!

Kristen said...

Congratulations! He will be hearing your voice before you know it!

elizabeth said...

Best wishes as you begin your CI journey! This is a great blog, I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as a part of our community!