Sunday, November 23, 2008

Activation Day!

Here is video from Ben's first activation. Watch how he turns when he hears his name! After that, his responses were more subtle. But he did respond to a drum and noisy toys. We returned the following day for a second mapping appointment, and will go back after Thanksgiving for a third. Then we will start the mapping appointments for the right ear a few days later. We have been changing his maps each day and he is tolerating that well. At home, he seems to be taking everything in and not showing too many obvious responses, but we were told that this is common. The hardest challenge has been keeping the ear piece and magnet on his head! We have been using the pilot caps and we bought the Topstick toupee tape which has been helping. But he really resists when we put the ear piece on. I know we will get better at putting it on and that he will get used to wearing it, but it has been frustrating. But, when I look at this video I am reminded why we are doing all this and it makes it all worth it. The CI is nothing short of a miracle device.

12 comments:

Laurie said...

Wow! Great news! Love the video clip!

Drew's Mom said...

Awesome! Are you using Snugfit? We love that for keeping the ear level piece on. Once we used that, we never had to worry about the ear level really coming off again.

Can you believe you made it to this point? You're in for a lot of fun!

tammy said...

Oh my! I love this video! I'm in tears. How fantastic this must feel to see him turn and look at you! Just amazing! And now the hearing begins!

Landon's Mom said...

What a great reaction! He is too cute!!

Ellen Connolly said...

Great video. Ben's reaction is amazing. We are so happy!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's really really awesome.

Hope things are continuing in a similar fashion! Can't wait to hear the update...

Anonymous said...

Kate and Nathan, I am so thrilled that Ben is doing so well. The CI are an amazing technology. Our nephew Thomas received his bilateral CI at Hopkins last week. I can't wait to embark on a new journey of hearing with him. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
xo Maryle

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

Congrats! Takes me back to Christian's activation...what a tearjerker!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness! What a wonderful site to be able to keep updated on Ben's journey. What an amazing video clip! As always we will continue to pray for Ben and all of you! Love you! (love cassandra)

PolyglotMom said...

This comment is really late, but I just wanted to say congratulations, what a beautiful clip! I hope your journey is continuing well!!!!

monica said...

Hi Ben's mom,
it is great to find your blog. we met at the chattering children's christmas party.
how is ben enjoying the implants now? is he keeping them on or is it still a problem?
talk more later-
monica

Anonymous said...

I am so excited for you! I have a 10 month old who is waiting for his CI surgery at Hopkins (he's too small right now) and hope everything goes as well for us as it seems to have for you.