Friday, July 31, 2009

Mapping Appointment

Ben had a mapping appointment at Johns Hopkins today.  It had been three months since we had been there!  We began with a booth test and Ben was hearing at 25-30 dbs, but when tested individually his right ear was much lower (like in the 40-50 range) than his left.  During the mapping his audi figured out that the microphone on the right processor wasn't working properly!  I felt awful!  I don't know how long it had been like that.  I know he was hearing the lings (the 6 speech sounds that we check regularly) with his right only as we have tested each ear individually in therapy, so I think he was hearing with the right ear, just not as well as he should have been.  Thank goodness we caught it. He is using his back-up processor until the new one arrives.

I guess I am going to get out the mic-checking piece of equipment that came with the CIs and start using it!  

Even with this issue, Ben has been doing so well!  He says a few words perfectly now, including "Mama, "Dada", "Abby, "Baby" and "Open".  I will try to post a list on the sidebar, as I know those have helped me when other people have posted theirs on blogs.  His receptive language is taking off - he responds with the correct animal sounds for several animals when asked - with no visual cues.  He loves doing puzzles and will spontaneously say the sound of each vehicle and animal while he is busy putting the puzzle pieces in their spaces.  We are going back to Johns Hopkins in a little over a week to have an 8-month post activation evaluation and we will be eager to hear what the SLP says.  


7 comments:

tammy said...

Wow! He has some vocabulary! Yay Ben!!! I love that he's doing the animal sounds too ... that's amazing! I'm right with you and the mic check ... one day soon enough they'll be able to TELL us something's wrong - I can't wait for this day to come because it's so scary just not knowing what or how they're hearing!

Christian and Lily's Mommy said...

He's doing fantastic! And definitely get that microphone check in your daily routine. It helps! Around 6 months post implant, Christian was able to tell me if something was a bit off or sounded funny---soon Ben will too!

PolyglotMom said...

I need to look into this mic instrument. Is it in the suitcase of info somewhere? Sounds like Ben is doing great. I, too, can't wait until he tells me that something's not right!

Lisa said...

With my oldest child, he was implanted at six years old. Our youngest was implanted at ten months old. The difference is amazing. I almost feel like I am going through the language part of it as a newby. Our oldest could tell us what he was hearing as with our youngest, it is a guessing game...

monica said...

hey, i plan to be there tomorrow, but i want to make sure i am there when you're there, when will that be?

MB said...

We need another update! :)

Efrat Schorr said...

I enjoyed reading your blog and wanted to let you know about my new website

www.hearingfamilies.com

which I hope you will find interesting.

best wishes!