Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Background on Ben

Our baby Ben was born January 10, 2008 after a wonderful, uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery. He is our fifth child, and his older brother and sisters had fallen in love with him every bit as much as his dad and I had. Our family was so very happy. Ben failed his newborn hearing screening (OAE) the day after he was born, and then again the following day right before we checked out of the hospital. We were told not to worry as it was probably just fluid in his ears, and made an appointment to return to the hospital in one month for a follow-up test. At his one month checkup at the pediatrician, he again failed an OAE, but we assumed it was just inadequate testing conditions. The next day was his scheduled follow-up at the hospital and we were sure it would all be worked out at that appointment. I took him to the Audiology department of the hospital and he was given an OAE, which he failed. Then we were moved to another room for an automated ABR. I was told that this test was much more extensive and would take into account any fluid in the ears. Wires were attached to his head and little earphones were placed on his ears while he slept in my arms. He failed the test. Now I was getting worried! The technician told me that I needed to get Ben a full diagnostic ABR test (air, bone, and frequency specific ABR) also called a BAER test. They were backed up for the next 3-4 months. I was given the number for another hospital to try to get an appointment sooner, and we were able to get in with this other hospital the following week.

On February 22, when Ben was 6 weeks old, my husband and I took Ben for his diagnostic ABR. I still really felt that he could hear us, and that if he did have a hearing loss, it was probably just a mild one. The ABR was performed unsedated, so after nursing Ben to sleep, I held him in my arms for 2 1/2 hours, as he slept off and on with wires attached to his head. I could tell by the looks on the audiologist's face that something was wrong. A student came in to review the results as the test was going on. When it was over, I wanted to scream, "Just tell me what it is!" But I stayed calm on the outside, while inside I was freaking out. She went to talk to her supervisor and then got Ben's dad from the waiting room. Once they returned, she told us that the test had shown "at least a severe hearing loss in both ears". After reviewing Ben's test results, the ENT we saw the next day told us that he would classify Ben's hearing loss as profound. He had shown no response during the 2 1/2 hours of testing. Our baby was deaf.

Ben's dad and I were completely shocked and heartbroken. How would we communicate with him? What would his life be like? We assumed we would all learn sign language and Ben would attend special schools. I remember there was a pamphlet in the audiologist's testing room, that said, "When Hearing Aids Aren't Enough: The Cochlear Implant." I didn't take it because, thanks to my limited exposure to CIs in the media, I had a negative impression of the surgery, and hoped my son wouldn't need it. Over the next several days of research, I discovered that the cochlear implant could be the miracle device that had the potential to radically improve my deaf son's life. I stumbled upon a blog (www.turnonmyears.blogspot.com) of parents whose child, Drew, had the same diagnosis as Ben, and he was now learning to listen and speak because of the cochlear implant surgery. I felt like I was given a road map out of the pain and confusion. I emailed Drew's mom and she immediately responded by asking how she could help. She gave me invaluable advice that I will always be grateful for, and through Drew's blog, I linked to other wonderful blogs and web sites that gave me information. I saw that there was hope that we would be able to communicate with Ben by speaking and that he would have just as bright a future as our other children. Now we pray that Ben will be found to be a suitable candidate for the cochlear implant surgery. I have visited oral deaf schools and an auditory verbal therapy center. I have joined the CI Circle forum on yahoo. I have made contact with other parents of deaf and hard of hearing kids. We have visited two CI Centers to discuss the candidacy process and the surgery. Ben has begun county Early Intervention home visits with his Teacher of the Deaf. Each day I have tried to make an appointment or make a phone call or read a book or make an email contact that will help me bring Ben closer to hearing.

Many people have told us that we were lucky to receive Ben's diagnosis when he was so young. At the time, part of me wish I didn't know, because I felt like my happiness had been stolen so soon, and that there wasn't much we could do about any of it for a while. But I now realize how fortunate we were; how much we owe to the Universal Infant Screening program in our state, to the blogs of other parents who have been down this road before us, and to the professionals who have helped us along on this journey. Ben will finally get his hearing aids today, just a few days before he turns four months old. The CI process can now formally begin. Please pray with us that Ben will be able to receive and benefit from cochlear implants, and that we make the right decisions for our son as we go about this journey to hearing.

11 comments:

auntangie said...

Hello, I'm Drew's Aunt, and found your blog through my nephew's (turnonmyears) and just wanted to wish you all the very best. Your message took me back to the days after Drew was born, where like you said, we felt like our happiness of his birth had been stolen from us. Looking back now, we all can't believe how far he has come. I pray for you and your family that your son as well will be able to benefit from the implants as Drew did. We now don't take one word for granted; the first time he could say my name I almost lost it. I'm so glad you found my sister -- she is a wealth of information and I know she'll do whatever she can to help you through this confusing time. Best Wishes to you and your family!

Laurie said...

Hello! Drew's mom sent me here. . .after reading your post I just wanted to tell you that "everything will work out." I have lived with a severe/profound hearing loss all of my life and was able to hear some with my hearing aids. I am now bilateral with cochlear implants and am enjoying a new world of sound after 40+ years.

Reading blogs like yours gives me some insight regarding the feelings and emotions my parents must have gone through when they discovered my hearing loss (as well as my brother'). There is no explanation for it. . .we just can't hear. But, we had a wonderful & supportive family and were mainstreamed in the hearing world.

Your new baby is beautiful! I wish I could hold him. . . I miss my grandson that was born just over a month ago! Looks like you have a great family, too. :)

diber said...

Hi,

Another CI mom here. Just wanted to give you a hug of encouragement. It's quite an interesting ride. E's deafness was a definite surprise, but it has blessed our family in ways we couldn't have imagined.

Abbie said...

Hello there!

I found a link to your blog from Drew's mom and I rushed right over here to read it! Ben is so precious! I have been deaf my just about my entire life and I got a CI about seven months ago. I hope I can offer you some insight on what it is like to hear with a CI. I want to wish you all the luck in the world with Ben's CI evaluation. I'll be following along with you :)

Abbie

Cloggy said...

Welcome to the wonderful journey of cochlear implant. It's a great journey with beautiful views, places to go and lots to learn...

And even though we all wish sometimes our little ones would be able to hear, we also realize that we have become wiser and richer by the experience.

Keep writing your blog.! For yourself, but also for your child.
I wish we had found out as quick as you did that Lotte was deaf, and I wish I had started a blog much earlier than I did. So many memories that faded away that could have been preserved..

Anyway.
Glad to have you on the team..

The Brights said...

Just stopping by to welcome you to the wonderful world of CI blogs! These Moms (and Dads) have been so very helpful on our journey! My son was diagnosed much later and is only 7 months hearing at 32 months and doing wonderful! Your son has a great advantage having four older siblings. What great language role models they'll be for their new little brother! Wishing you the best of luck throughout your CI canidacy!

leah said...

Good luck through the CI candidacy process! I hope everything goes quickly for you guys. Nolan got his HA's at four months (he's only moderate in loss so we're in HA territory and not CI territory). It is hard to find out when they are so very young, but it is also a relief to know that we could start intervention very early in the game.

Landon's Mom said...

Congratulations on a beautiful new son!! Your post was a flash back - it sounded like something I could have written. We knew nothing about CI's before Landon's diagnosis but they are definitely a miracle. We are amazed every day at the things he is able to hear and say. I wanted to ask if it was okay to put a link to your blog on Landon's site so I can check back and see how he is doing. Good luck with all the testing.
Jen
www.buzzsjourney.blogspot.com

Landon's Mom said...

I put your link on our site - Thanks! I can't wait to follow Ben's progress. My email is pxedst21@yahoo.com - please feel free to contact me. It is definitely a blessing to have all of our internet friends out there. I know we would have been lost in the beginning without all the help we got from other families who had been through this.

elizabeth said...

Yay! As the oldest of four children, I LOVE big families!

My friend, Rachel and I collaborate on a website all about cochlear implants and listening and spoken language for children who are deaf or hard of hearing. Rachel has bilateral CIs, and I am in training to become a Speech-Language Pathologist/Auditory-Verbal Therapist to teach deaf children to listen and speak. Our site has lots of videos of Rachel (and her younger sister, who also has bilateral CIs), as well as a great collection of other CI kids' stories. It's updated almost every day with the latest news and information about CIs.

Check it out at: www.cochlearimplantonline.com

Welcome to the CI Community -- it is a wonderful group of people and I have been blessed to make connections with CI families all around the world. I hope that you will, too! Best of luck on this journey -- I'll be following along and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Bill and Shelly said...

What a beautiful little boy you have. You can tell that your other children just adore him.
Our daughter, Allison was implanted in Jan 2005 and got
her 2nd implant on April 21st of this year.
She has made amazing progress and will be heading to K in the fall in a typcial oral classroom.
Drew's mom will be a wonderful support to you and has a wealth of information.
While we are farther down the CI road, we remember well waiting for Allison to start talking. Now there are times when we wish she would be quiet for a little bit.
We wish you well as you start the journey into the world of CI's. Feel free to contact us if you need to.