
Ben's surgery went beautifully! (See the before and after photos). We arrived at Johns Hopkins before 5:30 am for the 7:30 am surgery (which means we left our house before 4:00 am)!! Ben's CI surgery was the first simultaneous bilateral surgery for Dr. Niparko and Johns Hopkins so there was a lot of interest in Ben while we waited until it was time for the surgery. I walked him back to the operating room at 7:30 and at 9:00 we received an update that all was going well. At 10:30, Dr. Niparko came out to tell us that the surgery was over and that everything went great. The entire surgery took three hours! Fifteen minutes later, I was holding Ben in my arms. We left for home a little after 1:00 in the afternoon and were home at 2:30.
We are SO GLAD that we decided to pursue simultaneous bilateral surgery! I can't imagine going through this again in 6 weeks. The stress of getting up there so early and worrying through another surgery would be awful. Ben's recovery has been amazing. He was in pain the first day and still wobbly and fussy the second day, but was much better yesterday and today he is back to his old self. We took the

bandages off yesterday morning and I have been trying to keep a hat on since then so he won't touch the stitches. He hasn't had the pain medication (Tylenol with codeine) since yesterday morning - just regular Children's Motrin since then. I don't think he will need that after today. He is also on an antibiotic for a week. Ben's incisions are not bad at at all - much better than I expected. Dr. Niparko does incredible work.
We are so relieved that the surgery is behind us. Activation day is November 20!! We can't wait to finally get Ben to hearing. Thank you to all of our family and friends who prayed for Ben and helped us out during this week - and actually since his diagnosis. We are so grateful to Dr. John Niparko and the incredible team at Johns Hopkins that has taken such good care of our baby and guided us to this point. Now the three week countdown begins to Ben's hearing birthday!
9 comments:
Congrats, Ben! You look adorable. Glad to hear it went so well.
Yeah! I'm so happy everything went so smoothly. These little ones recover so quickly.
Activation day will be here before you know it. Then the fun really begins! The countdown is on. So happy for your whole family!
I'm so glad he did so well. It's amazing how fast they seem to bounce back. Can't wait to hear how activation goes!
Glad all went wonderful. He looks like such a big boy in his hospital gown.
Now onto waiting :o) I hope the days to come pass quickly! Activation day is only a few short days away. I can't wait to hear how it goes!
So glad to hear it all went well! Ben is adorable ... I can't believe how grown up he looks! It seems like just yesterday I "met" you as we together through this journey!
Activation will be here before you know it and he'll be hearing for Christmas! How exciting!!!
So glad everything went so well. He will be hearing and talking before you know it.
I'm so glad to see the little guy came out of surgery with flying colors! They bounce back so quick. Now the real fun begins :)
I'm so happy for you! Just a few more days until activation... what a thrill! Good luck and can't wait to read all about it!
Hi Ben's Mom,
I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Hearing Loss & Deafness Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.
If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com
Post a Comment